Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Weed Killing: The old fashioned way

Nothing makes me happier than seeing a garden with no weeds. Here are a few of my personal tips.

If your garden looks like this, forget pulling by hand- you need a shovel! I like to use a shovel to dig up as much grass as possible by getting just under the shallow roots. Then I leave the grass with its roots exposed to the sun to dry. This does not help anything and probably just gives the grass a chance to leave seeds behind. You may want to toss the grass and weeds into the compost or pile of yard waste, but I like to send nearby grass a warning: "Stay out of my bed!" 




Once the grass is a little more under control, it is time to shift tactics. Rather than use a shovel, I like to pull the roots with my hands. This is especially nice after a light rain because the soil is  loose. It is important to view this time not as a gardening chore but as a game. To get the highest score you need to pull a weed with the longest root. This prevents the plant from simply growing back. If you don't get any roots, don't worry; just come back in a few days, and the plant will have grown back. Just try again.



Finally the best weed killing is weed prevention. Once you have removed as many roots as possible, put down a nice thick layer of mulch. This helps prevent seeds from finding moist soil in which to germinate (begin growing).

No comments:

Post a Comment